Up Too Early--poor N
I had to get up at 5 a.m. today, as I did for clinicals when nursing school was going. Today I had to go to the local high school to pick up N by 6 a.m. (I showered first) from his overnight Relay For Life cancer charity event. I found him in my tent, sitting on the floor, moaning. His foot hurt and had been twisted. It's color and size was normal, which is good, but he said it hurt so much. He got his buddies to empty their stuff from the tent while I took his belongings to the car. One of his friend's parents were starting to take the tent down when I came back from the car for the last time. Because of the dew, everything was wet. N just stood around and moaned.
My first aid kit did not have an ACE bandage. I found a Ben Gay patch instead, which N said didn't work. It's a pretty old kit so I'm not surprised. N's friend's dad carried the rolled up tent to my car for me, and N hobbled to the car and I took him home. He took ibuprofen when we got home and wanted his foot wrapped. He screamed a few times as I did this, and woke his dad up (in a VERY bad mood). We tried ice, and he yelled again. I just left him on the love seat and went back to bed myself. When I got up a couple hours later, I could see N was no longer where I left him. I'm guessing he went up to his room.
Since his foot looks normal, I'm doing nothing today (Sunday). His doctor's office is closed. If he's still in horrible pain tomorrow, even if things look normal, I'll probably take him to the pediatrician's office. The doctor can look at his foot and tell me it doesn't look broken but I can get it X-rayed to be sure.
Right now I'm just hoping the ibuprofen and his getting sleep will greatly reduce the pain. When he gets up, if it still hurts, I'll give him more ibuprofen and then have him ice it on and off in about 15-minute cycles. I personally think it's nothing but just needs rest for a couple days. I once sprained or strained my foot such that it swelled up and turned purple. My doctor couldn't get me in that day, but I talked to the nurse who had me do pretty much what I'm planning to do with N. She said to call in the morning if it wasn't better, and I could see the doctor and get it X-rayed (my doctor has an X-ray machine in her office; N's doesn't). I was much better the next day so I didn't need to bother the doctor.
N has always had an exaggerated sense of pain. I am hoping that is another reason his foot is so painful. I'm guessing he'll show his face in the house somewhere around 3 p.m.

2 Comments:
How's N's foot?
N's still limping around. I don't think he's getting worse, but he isn't getting much better. I'd take him to the doctor's, but the reason he's not getting better is that he keeps re-injuring it.
Post a Comment
<< Home