Another long day
I had an ob/gyn appointment at 10:15 today. By 11:15, my daughter was very bored in the waiting room and behaving very badly. When I tried to see about rescheduling the appointment, we found out the doctor was delivering a baby, but it a regular vaginal birth, and I was the third patient she'd see after she was done. Fifteen minutes later, we got called to the check-in area and were told the delivery had turned into an emergency C-section. The ladies tried to reschedule the appointment, but I'm only available on days J doesn't have preschool because they can't guarantee that I'll be done in time to pick her up. Also, I can't do any appointments that will interfere with waiting for N's bus to either pick him up or drop him off. Finally they thought they could get me in and out in time at 12:45 p.m. today, understanding that no matter what was going on, I was leaving to meet my son's bus at 3:30 p.m.
J and I went home, stopping for a sandwich at the Subway at the hospital. We ate and she played in the yard a bit and then we returned to the doctor's office. We did see the doctor and got out in plenty of time to wait for N's bus. When we got home, there was a message on my answering machine. It was from the health clinic at N's school. I called them back. They had found five nits in N's hair and stopped and called me to come and get him at that point.
I went and picked up N. I took him outside to see better to comb him, and found his head full of tiny lice, not the big ones I had combed out earlier. Some were even alive. It was disgusting. I've been combing him with a nit comb every day since we found out about the problem. His itching hasn't relented. Now I know why. I called N's doctor's office and left a message for the nurses. N got yet another shower, and I tried combing him out with his head full of creme rinse. This evening the doctor called me back and told me to do the insecticidal treatment one week from the last (which will be Friday). Then when after I rinse it out Saturday morning, to use something called Step 2 to dissolve the bonds the eggs have to the hair shaft and comb him out again. Then wet comb him (with creme rinse). Then wet comb him with creme rinse every three days for a total of four combings. At that point the lice should be gone.
I've been re-washing his bedding, and I got another can of spray for places like my car and the sofa. This is driving me crazy. Fortunately, all was well at the ob/gyn appointment.

3 Comments:
Gee you are having a rough time with these nits. Is there ANY chance that there is someone else in the class that might be reinfecting him? Some people don't scratch when they have head lice. Or do they think that the little ones are hatchlings from the original lice. If they are, then it just shows how resistant these little blighters are. Most lice treatments say that they kill ALL lice and nits. I've found that the creme rinse works quite well, more so if you put it on dry hair and comb within 20 mins. We haven't had lice for a while now that they are older but for a while I would fine comb the kids outside as soon as we got home from school :-)
Does your son mind being sent out of school? Do the other kids say anything or is it just a normal thing that happens to everyone at some stage in their school life? I hope you don't mind me asking. My middle child is pretty sensitive and he'd hate to be called out of class for nits. I'd have a hard time getting him back to school. I'm also surprised that our countries have such different ways of dealing with it.
Glad to hear that all went well with your appointment.... eventually :-)
I'm sticking with my choice of gender for your baby but I'm thinking about date and weight.
Take care.
Brilly,
Yes, there is a chance someone in his class still has the lice. Everyone there had his head checked, though. All the blankets and art smocks were sent home for washing. It could also be coming from his schoolbus. I don't think there was a check on all the kids on his bus.
I think the insecticides don't kill the eggs. That is why a second treatment is done seven to ten days later--to kill any new lice that hatched from the eggs that were missed in combing before they are big enough to lay eggs of their own. I know flea treatments work the same way (BTW this morning I confirmed my cat has fleas, but I'll use Advantage on her).
I hope your family continues to remain louse-free.
I'm not sure if my son minds being sent home from school. He got to miss art this week and last, and he hates art. I don't think there is the same stigma to lice as there was when I was a kid or else my son is too young to know the difference.
Well, my doctor and my daughter are both guessing the baby will be a girl. I'll find out (unless the baby won't cooperate) on December 1.
Ugh nits is something i have to look forward to in the far future i guess, sounds like they are some work getting rid of them!
Hope bub cooperates on the 1st, looking forward to finding out what your having. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home