Saturday, June 17, 2006

Getting ready for company

K is getting baptized tomorrow afternoon. Mr. K's parents and one of his brothers (K's godfather) is coming tonight. One of his sisters was supposed to come and be the godmother, but last minute she had to cancel. Mr. K's mom will act as a proxy.

My family isn't coming at all. We aren't Catholic, and we don't believe in baptizing babies. This event has no meaning to us. I wonder if Mr. K's family thinks it's odd they don't come. I suppose they might if they lived closer, but both our families live about 700 miles away.

I decided to wear my wedding dress. It stops above my knees, it's off-white, and the only pair of pumps I own right now match it. It's out of style, but I wouldn't say it was ever in style. I outgrew all my shoes after I had J, and I bought this pair of pumps to wear with the dress I wore to J's baptism. I don't feel like wearing that dress again. This was much cheaper. All I had to buy was a pair of pantyhose since I don't seem to own any anymore. Then I'll have to get the dress dry-cleaned before I put it back in my closet to sit until who-knows-when. So far, I've worn it to my wedding and to church once on Easter. I guess I'll get my money's worth since I paid $50 for it new about ten years ago. You can probably tell that I seldom dress up.

N's reading over my shoulder so I'll stop here.

3 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I hope you had a great time at K's baptism.

My kids aren't christened or baptised. We had civil naming days for them instead. My Aunt who is a practising catholic bought holy water each time and blessed them herself :-)

You make me giggle Angela because I feel very similar to you. I'm not a clothes horse and I tend to wear things over and over. Part of it is lack of money and the kids always need shoes or clothes so they come first. The other part of it is that I don't know what suits me. I need the "What not to wear" ladies to come and tell me what suits me (even if they do like to grab peoples boobs and bum!)

It's pretty easy for blokes. Trousers, jeans, shirts and a suit for special occasions..... so simple.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Men do have it easy for dressing up. I never know (or care) what to wear to dress up. Pretty much, if something requires dressing up, I probably don't want to be there.

I've never heard of civil naming days. I haven't been baptized or christened myself--I got my name when my parents filled out my birth certificate application at the hospital. That's it. Then I had a legal name.

K's baptism went fine. She was startled when the deacon put cold water on her head, but she didn't cry. Mr. K's family decided to stay with us instead of a hotel at the last minute (they were quoted a higher price at the motel than they'd been given when they made the reservations and Grandpa K forgot to bring his paperwork related to the reservation). Anyway, our house was very crowded for a bit.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Civil naming days are becoming more popular over here. They are conducted by a celebrant who is authorised to marry, name and bury us :-) Our family all use the one lady so she's almost part of the family.
You still have god-parents but they are called sponsers and instead of promising to help guide the child through their religious life they are asked to help the child reach their full potential as they grow into adulthood.

G and I were married by our family celebrant and she will bury me if I should die before her :-)

Take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home