Getting old
I've been driving for 20 years this month. My license arrived in the mail 20 years ago in June while I was working at a summer camp. I had to pick it up between sessions of camp.
My neighbor, the one who always has a beer and cigarette in hand, said he lost his driver's license in 1984, so he's been not driving longer than I've been driving.
Wednesday I went to the YMCA and got the family membership. Friday I had someone there show me how to run some of the fitness equipment. We pretty much had to put everything on its easiest setting since I'm such a wimp and because I haven't been using many muscles for a long, long time since any exertion was setting off contractions when I was pregnant. If I am ambitious, that will change. I'm the last person in the world I would expect to see in a gym. I do not like using working out (never done it and don't want to start), but I can't walk for excercise yet because of the heel spurs, so I need to do something. Also there is an even better reason. I got the most expensive membership, the family membership, so that for two hours a day, if I go during the times the child care is available (mornings and evenings), they have free child care (comes with the family membership) for all the children I have. So I can devote half an hour to riding the bike and using the other machines or swimming if I feel like it, and then spend an hour and a half resting, reading, or writing in a chair in the lounge area while someone else entertains the kids.
I had to buy some kind of membership anyway because I want to get N and J swimming lessons later this month. With the offer of child care and my need for excercise that won't hurt my heels, I decided to go with the most expensive type of membership. Now I just need to use it.
Also, I was happy to see that most of the bikes, the walking-machine things, and the treadmill all have little TVs with cable TV. All I have to do is bring headphones and they will work. Right now I think the bike is the only thing that isn't going to hurt my heels. I used it and the walking-machine thing (I've no idea what the machines are called) Friday and my heels are hurting extra today. I doubt it was the bike.
Wednesday I go off the Voltaren (anti-inflamatory for my heels), and I'm hoping I won't get all crippled up again so I hobble in agony. Right now I walk with some pain, but I don't dread going to the store because it hurts to much to even walk from the car to the entrance. June 19 I see the podiatrist, and I'm hoping he'll be able to fix everything. I miss walking for pleasure.

5 Comments:
Do you have to reapply for your license. Ours last either 1, 3 or 5 years and you have to do an eye test and answer health questions each time you renew. We have photo licenses but they don't record our weight (thank goodness!)
Everyone around me is getting fit :-) I need to do stomach exercises but I hate them :-( I don't want to do sit ups and now that winter's here it's cold and dark so I don't want to walk.
Good luck with the spurs. When G had one he had to wear a heel insert with the spur area cut out. It helped a bit.
Take care and I hope you are getting some quality sleep :-)
I forgot to say that I'm trying the soapy water for my Hellebores. It's been cold and wet so the aphids are all together on the bottom leaves which makes it easy. I'll let you know how it goes.
No, I don't have to reapply for my driver's license. I just have to renew it, and I do it by mailing in a check for the renewal fee. In Michigan, it was every three or five years or something like that. Here in Virginia it is every five years except it is the month when your birthday makes you something that is a multiple of five. For instance, I moved here when I was 27. My license was only good until I was 30. Then it renewed until I was 35. Now mine is good until I'm 40. Originally, because I wear glasses to drive, I had to go in and have a vision check at 30. Since our Department of Motor Vehicles is so overwhelmed with business, they now let me renew by mail as long as I check the box that states I wear glasses. If I checked the box that said I don't (for instance if I thought my vision improved), I'd have to come in for a vision test to prove it. If I got surgery to fix my vision, I'd go in afterward and take the vision test and get the restriciton removed since I'd be more dangerous wearing my glasses when I didn't need them.
I think people who get tickets have to go in and take a written driving test to renew, but I've been lucky.
It's hard to imagine it's winter anywhere. It's almost summer here (although the weather is clearly summer weather). Summer begins on June 21.
Did G's spur ever heal so he could go back to life as it was?
I hope the soapy water kills the aphids.
Hi Angela :-) G's heel spur did heal and it hasn't bothered him since. At the time it was really painful as he does a lot of running around for work.
Brilly,
I'm glad to hear G's spur did heal. I've talked to a couple women whose spurs were merely "under control." I'm hoping for gone.
MoonSpinner,
Yes, it is very discouraging to finally round up enough ambition to walk regularly only to find you can't.
Post a Comment
<< Home