Up only once in the night
I was only up one time in the night. Mr. K took a feeding just before midnight, and K slept until almost 4 a.m. Then she didn't cry until a little after 7 a.m. This is a first, and it probably won't happen again tonight, but I'd guess it will become more frequent in the next couple weeks. I feel much better with the extra sleep.
Yesterday was Memorial Day. Mr. K took the day off and spent it with us. We had a cookout. I had him throw some extra boneless, skinless chicken thighs that had been marinated in Italian dressing on the grill, and we'll eat them tonight so I don't have to do much to make tonight's dinner. I got all my squash plants planted yesterday. I need to cover them today with floating row covers to keep off the squash borer beetles (if I'm not already too late). We also planted a few watermelon plants. In talking with Mr. K, a rare occurance these days, we concluded that we like best having fresh watermelon so next year we'll give up the squash (except zucchini since it is so easy to grow it provides a quick sense of accomplishment), and turn the garden area into a giant watermelon patch (except for the tomato, bean, eggplant, Swiss chard, basil, pepper area). I think I'll try two or three types of small watermelons. We don't have room in the fridge for a large watermelon.
Our hardy kiwi vines appear to be setting fruit. I hope so. If it does, it will be the first year. You need a boy and a girl vine, and I think they need to be about five years old to flower. We purchased vines that were two or three years old. The first year we planted them, the boy died. We didn't get to the garden store in time the next year to buy another boy. They had sold out for the season. The next year they were no longer selling them by gender separate; they were selling pots with both genders in them. Mr. K tried separating out the male, and in the process, both plants died. We got a pair the next year, but frost killed them. We tried again the next year, and they survived. The original plant has been blooming for a few years now but with no mate. This year we finally saw some flowers on a vine that looked slightly different. I'm hoping they were flowers from the male vine (quite certain they are). Anyway, so far the fruits are the size of marbles and haven't dropped. I hope they are pollinated and we can beat the squirrels to them. They always beat us to the grapes, and mulberries.

3 Comments:
I'm doing a very happy dance. I don't feel like I'm in a dizzy fog today. It's the first time since she was born. It's not likely to happen again tomorrow, but soon she'll be doing it regularly until she sleeps all night.
Whoo-hoo extra sleep!! It's amazing how an extra few hours can make such a difference.
I was interested to read that you grow Kiwifruit. I don't know anyone else who grows them at home.
My hellebores have little light green coloured bugs all over them. Could they be a type of aphid? Any suggestions?
I hope K increases her sleep soon :-)
Take care
Little light green bugs sound like aphids. I've got some aphids on my kiwi vines that are a rusty color. I've seen little green ones on my plants before, too. They are small and congregate in large groups. They squish pretty easily.
Mostly I ignore aphids, but I've sprayed them with soapy water before to get rid of them (tiny bit of Dawn dish detergent in water in a spray bottle).
I see one of my plant books recommends a)encouraging beneficial insect predators (like lady bugs), b) insecticidal soap (also a recipe to make it one's self of 5 or 6 drops of liquid detergent in a quart of water), c) hosing them off with a jet of water from the hose, and for things that aren't edible, d)spray with azadirachtin (Neem) according to label directions.
For severe infestations, my book recommends spraying with horticultural oil or an insecticide containing a pyrethrin, diazinon, malathion, or acephate (Orthene) according to label directions. I've no idea which chemicals are licensed for which pests in Australia or if pesticides are even registered in Australia.
I hope you get rid of them.
Post a Comment
<< Home