Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Little Bit Stunned

I just got a phone call from the plant manager at the company I worked at until N was ten months old. The person covering my old job recently left the company, and the plant manager has been working at covering the environmental engineering I used to do with the help of the corporate environmental engineer. He wants to know if I have any interest in having my old job back. Also, it is possible I might be able to do it about three-quarters time instead of full time.

Wow. I've been thinking of going back to college to become a nurse when K goes to school. I want the great flexibilty, bizarre hours, and the knowledge that what I do makes a difference in people's lives. I hadn't planned to work as an engineer again. I figured my knowledge of environmental regulations would be out-of-date. The advangage I have with this company is that I know the details of what they do and how they do it, and I could easily catch up on the pertinent regulations.


I told him I'd get back with him tomorrow for sure if I'm not interested, but that I'll need to talk it over with my husband this evening. I told him that if his call came six years from now, it would be a much harder temptation to resist. Plus, I told him I am flattered that he's contacted me about this, which I am.

Hmm. I don't expect to accept. N was sick all the time with ear infections and such from the time I put him in daycare at two months old until the time I took him out at ten months old. I'm having such a good time as a stay-at-home mom. Still, I can't walk past a drum of any chemical without trying to read the label. I'm fascinated by the chemical-related and environmental-related articles in the newspaper.

I guess I probably already know what I'm going to decide. Still it's very nice to be thought of. I did enjoy a lot of aspects of the job before. I guess I'm at another one of those turning points in the road where my decision could have a big impact on my life, or I could just walk away and leave things as they are.

2 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Could the company set you up so that you can do some of the work from home?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Perhaps a little work could be done from home, but a lot of my work involved being all over the plant and having access to the many files.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home