Monday, March 26, 2007

Nick's Party

Nick's party went fine. I was pretty much the only one to eat the hummus or the vegetables, but the grapes, Doritos, and pastry crust-wrapped cocktail wieners were well-received. None of the adults stayed, which is probably why the vegetables were untouched except for by me.

I had three activities planned, but we only ended up doing one of them, which was fine with me. I had come up with stuff to do in case everyone was sitting around bored. What went over well was the hunting for pennies I had scattered around in a certain area in the back yard. I had dumped several handfuls of them--probably at least 300. The boys hunted for them. The girls stayed inside and played well together. I was glad I had invited the sisters of two of the boys. J had a much better time since she had girls her own age to play with. Otherwise she would have bugged the boys, and they would have beaten her up for being annoying.

We had a slight problem at the end--one of the boys got stung by one of Mr. K's honey bees while he was trying to catch a bee in N's new insect vacuum. His mom was already here to pick him up. I heard he cried all the way home. His sister left her jacket here, so when his mom comes by for it, Mr. K has prepared a little bear of honey for the boy in hopes he won't hate the bees.

3 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

At least the boy wasn't allergic to bee stings! Can I ask what a "bear of honey" is? I think it's a clear container shaped like a bear, filled with honey, is that right? :-)

Did any of the parents leave contact numbers? I ask because D had a pool party a few years back and I was surprised at the parents who didn't know me, yet left their kids here with no emergency number or info about their child! (Maybe I'm just funny because of D's asthma).

Wow three hundred pennies! I would have enjoyed that too :-) Our smallest coin is 5 cents so 300 coins would have cost me $15AUD ($12US approx) I think you got a bargain with that activity!

I was glad to read that you all had a good time. Smart thinking to invite people for J to play with :-)

Take care

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Yes, a bear of honey is a clear plastic bear, filled with honey.

None of the kids left contact numbers, but I know their home numbers. I know the cell phone number of one of the parents. We aren't far from two hospitals, and the party was only two hours long. I don't think to ask for cell numbers because I don't use a cell phone generally. It's not a bad idea in the future, though.

Where are your pennies? Our government has proposed taking them away before, but we love them. They keep trying to force dollar coins on us so they can take away our paper dollars, but we love paper dollars and just won't give them up. When I was a kid in the 1970s, they tried to force the metric system on us (kilometers, meters, Celsius, kilograms, liters, etc.), but we just won't give up the "English" system (which I think the English gave up long ago).

Because the real world is so International, when I studied engineering, our classes would mix the metric and English units up all over the place to make sure we could convert stuff with no problem. Even with my jobs, when I'd look up information about chemical properties, it was always a mixed bag of units. I was always converting stuff to get the units I wanted.

I think medicine uses metrics a lot except for when weighing people (pounds). I'm guessing they convert that to kg since I think dosage of medications is often listed in mg of effective ingredient per kg of person.

If it had cost me $12 to toss out coins, I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't dump nickels. I'm not that rich. Hooray for pennies!

I'm glad our party went pretty well. Even Mr. K had a good weekend. He works so hard I'm glad he got to enjoy himself with the kids.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Our small coins (1 and 2 cent pieces) were withdrawn about 15 years ago. We still have thing marked as $9.97 or $9.98 but we round up or down to the nearest 5 cents. So $9.97 becomes $9.95 and $9.98 becomes $10.00 (Don't ask me why we don't end all our prices in either 5 or 10 and stop all this rounding off. That would be too sensible)

We have 1 and 2 dollar coins (gold coins) so our lowest note is $5. We have plastic money that can be washed and ironed and isn't supposed to tear but it does occasionally. Each denomination is a different colour and size.

I was educated in the imperial system and changed over because of work. Australia hasn't fully adopted the metric system eg if you ask someone how heavy their baby was when born they'll tell you in pounds and ounces. If you ask them again when their child is 12mths old they'll answer in kilos :-)
Tonight D's soccer coach said "Stand 5 yards apart" and the kids all looked at each other. To them a yard is a backyard not a measurement :-) The coach is younger than me and would have been educated fully in the metric system.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home