Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day

We don't have a lot planned for today. We've never taken the kids to see fireworks and won't start now.

Mr. K had to work this morning. I went to the gym with the kids while he was gone. When he got home, he wanted the kids to clean their rooms. J did, but hers wasn't so bad to start with. N refused so Mr. K did it for him. He removed at least five bags of trash from N's bedroom in about an hour while N shrieked on the living room floor.

N says this is the worst day of his life and that we owed him at least a thousand dollars for the stuff that Mr. K dumped. Mr. K says he's going to bill N for the time he spent cleaning N's room.

N's doing much better right now. He's out playing in the sprinkler in his swimsuit. Mr. K is running the sprinkler for an hour in the area near our fire pit. We will have a bonfire tonight and make s'mores. I also have a bunch of glow sticks that can be hooked together to wear as bracelets, anklets, and/or necklaces that I got at the dollar store (Made in China) that we'll play with after dark, too. I love glow sticks. At dinner time, I'm hoping Mr. K will grill Italian sausages for us. I have red, white, and blue Popsicles for today, too.

ETA: I need to make biscuits so that we can use whipped cream, blueberries, and strawberries (from the store) to make red, white, and blue shortcake.

5 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Happy Independence Day!!
I've always admired the pride that Americans show in celebrating their country. Australia has a lot to learn about national pride.

LOL about the room cleaning. MrG would point out to N that he'd paid for most of the things in the room anyway :-)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Thank you.

I'm impressed with your ANZAC Day. (Did I spell it right?)

I think I live in the best country in the world. I would expect anyone in any country (who isn't trying to emigrate) to feel that way about their own country.

I think a country is better off taking pride in it's accomplishments rather than dwelling in its failures. Pride leads a country forward. Believing in accomplishments leads to more accomplishments. It creates a sense of hope, which is necessary to move forward. Dwelling on failure leads to more failure.

Our country is proud of the way we set up a government of, by, and for the people, and we like to share this style of government with the rest of the world.

Of course, right now most people would like to dump the president (not me) and most of Congress, but we do have a process through which we can to that without needing to have armed confrontations with the government. It just takes a little time to get to the next election.

While I'm unhappy with how my President has been spending money we don't have, how he hasn't pardoned certain border agents who were only doing their job, how he won't let the military unleash its power in the Mideast, and how he won't enforce our border security and tried to stick us with a horrid amnesty law for illegal aliens, he sure beats his competition in the last couple elections--Al Gore and John Kerry (the delusional, hypocritical socialist and the elitist socialist--okay really they were both left-wing democrats and not officially socialists).

Aside from my being annoyed with this president for the stuff mentioned above (and the Dubai ports deal), he's been crippled by our press since he got into office with our press convinced he stole the election. It doesn't matter which side of an issue the President takes, the mainstream press (the mouthpiece for the Democrat Party pretty much) will take the other side just because they hate him so much and want him gone. I hope whoever wins the next election does it by a landslide.

In general, I like this president and am sorry things have worked out so poorly for him. I'm sorry he didn't know how to court the press as well as his predecessor.

In any event, I'm proud to be an American, and pretty much everyone I know is too, even if their politics are completely different from mine (like a lot of moms at playgroup).

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

ANZAC Day is a strange 'celebration'. We're celebrating a monumental military stuff up by the British that left Aussies and New Zealanders in a place where they shouldn't have been, with no way to retreat and no hope of rescue. :-)

We celebrate the fact that they hung on and they didn't whinge they just did their best,

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Oh. I thought ANZAC day was a patriotic celebration. I didn't realize it was a surprise military victory celebration.

Perhaps if you had your independence from England, it would give you a patriotic celebration. That's what our Independence Day celebrates. It's a big deal here, but probably the loss is only a tiny footnote in Britain's history.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

That's why ANZAC Day is such a strange celebration. We didn't win.... we lost. There's a line from a song about it that says "We (ANZACs) were led like lambs to their slaughter.
New Zealand had only a small population at the time and I think over a third of their young men lost their lives.
Australia Day is becoming more popular but the Aboriginal population see it as us celebrating our invasion of their land.... so it losses some of it's appeal.

ANZAC Day includes Aboriginals because they fought alongside white Australians and New Zealanders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home