I'm going camping!
N's Cub Scout Pack is planning a two-night camping trip instead of a final meeting of the year in May. It's at a state park in our county, about 20 minutes away. I've wanted to go camping, but Mr. K will never go because he says he might get a call for his business so he can't be away. I've always planned on taking the guys camping myself when N was a bit older, but I admit it would be a bit scary to be by myself out in the middle of nowhere with the kids (humans, not bears, scare me).
I told Mr. K about this trip, and he said he couldn't go. I asked if he'd watch the girls while I took N. He wouldn't because leaving him with any children doesn't help if he gets called out. Finally I thought about it and concluded this would be the ideal time to camp with the kids myself. Even if N is too small to help with the tent, there will be other people around that will help out. I called the coordinator, and she said it would be fine if I came alone with three kids. It will be a great chance to camp without worrying about being murdered.
Mr. K says he'd like to go, but he just can't commit to something this far in advance, and we were told to get our reservations in place in the next week because the campground fills fast. He might have to leave to take a call or something, and he'll need to come home to take care of our animals, but since the campground isn't that far from home, he'll try to join us most of the time.
Now I need to get a tent. I have a two-person tent left from my days as a single woman (that means it's old). I'm thinking about getting a six-person dome tent. That means it will hold about three people with any degree of comfort once they grow up. Something larger would be nicer, but it will be harder to put up, and might take up most of my trunk. I meant to buy one last summer but never got around to it.

5 Comments:
I'm sure i have asked this before but what does MrK work as? He fixes up investment properties in his free time doesn't he as well?
Camping sounds fun, hope you get good weather for it...I bought A 4 person dome tent for his birthday a few years back and sadly we have never ever used it, i guess we will once H gets bigger etc though.
I don't think anyone has ever asked what Mr. K does.
Mr. K owns the Richmond office franchise of an animal damage control business. It's an international company (only because it has an office or two in Canada). Mostly it's a U.S. company. Think of it as a bizarre branch of the pest control industry. He does things like getting squirrels out of people's attics.
Mr. K also fixes up rental houses to rent them out. We aren't doing it to sell them for a profit; we are planning to keep them for decades.
I hope the weather will be good, too. I was just thinking about what we'd do if it were cold and rainy--Sit in the car all day? Make many McDonald's runs? Go home?
I'm not surprised you haven't used the tent. I only know one family who takes their babies camping. It is so much more work for Mommies when they are camping.
The boys each have a two man tent, in the summer they "camp" in the backyard. So far they've always come inside rather than spend the night outside. The only time they sleep outside is if I do too.
MrG's nephews go camping with their families. They go as a group and have two large family tents and a kitchen tent that they share.
MrK's job sounds interesting..... he'd be the possum man here :-) Are you allowed to kill squirrels? We aren't allowed to kill possums and they're hard to relocate. People build possum boxes to keep them out of the roof.
Thats interesting about MrK's job, maybe i just thought i asked :)
Sarah, maybe you asked, but I didn't notice so I didn't answer. I don't recall mentioning what he does because no one has asked outright.
Brilly, yeah, my husband is the possum man here, too. He does most mammals. I didn't know you had opossums in Australia. They are the only marsupial we do have. Yes, he is allowed to kill squirrels. I'm not sure all states allow it, but this one does.
Setting up a tent in our back yard is an adventure because of the chicken poop. When J was a baby, N wanted to camp out. I put down newspapers under my tarp (because of the chicken poop), set up my tenet, and we went out to spend the night. Around 9 p.m. N said he was done and wanted to go in the house. We did, and I was irritated because I had gone to all that trouble to assemble my tent. We haven't tried since then.
Post a Comment
<< Home