Thursday, May 07, 2009

Cheating the early feminists?

"Gen-X moms have been famously criticized by early feminists for dropping out of the workforce to care for their young children."

This is from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30585984/

I know it's not the point of the story, but I read this line, and now I feel irritated by the early feminists. Yes, they cleared the path so that I could become an engineer, and I am grateful for that, but I thought the point of the feminist movement was so that I could choose whatever career or life path I wanted.

What on Earth is wrong with wanting a career in a formerly male-dominated world for a while, but then deciding at another point in my life that devoting my time to raising my children is the most important thing? Next, I want to be a nurse, a traditionally female-dominated career.

So what? I don't think I am betraying the early feminists at all by not wishing to remain an engineer for my entire post-graduation period. I am merely taking advantage of my ability to choose which path I will take at which time in my life. I am grateful they cleared the way for me into engineering. It was the perfect match for my skills, life, and interest at the time I finished college. Now being a mom is what I desire to do.

4 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Sarah said...

Well written Angela!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I think the early feminists are all lonely old crows who know that they took their message just a bit too far.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Hi Angela, are you guys OK.. Long time ,no hear.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Angela said...

We're fine. I've been busy. I'll try to write again soon. Thanks for asking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home