Friday, May 29, 2009

An excuse for not paying rent

I thought I had heard it all when a tenant in one of my duplexes assured me in early March that I'd have the rent by the 24th, when she got her income tax refund, and that she' d pay April's rent then, too.

I never got March or April's rent. She didn't return my phone call. I sent a pay or quit, let five days after it's arrival pass, and then got a court date to begin the eviction process. My court date was May 6.

At the end of April, I called the power company to see if the power was still on since we were wondering if she had moved out. My water bill had dropped noticeably. The power had been shut of April 9. We made arrangements (by providing her notice through her mail slot) to enter her apartment that weekend (the weekend before court).

The day before court (I think it was), I get a call from her telling me that she's been incarcerated, and I'm the first call she's made since she got out. Her family moved her stuff out earlier in the month (most of her stuff), and she told me they found the back door wide opened and the washer and dryer (ours) had been stolen. She assured me her stuff was moved out and that I could re-rent the place. (We moved her leftover stuff into the shed.)

I thought that was the most original excuse (I was in jail) for not paying the rent. I just got another, along the same vein, but with more detail. My fingers are sore and I'm out of time to write about it. Maybe later.

2 Comments:

At 2:43 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I hope the washer and dryer were insured so that you aren't too much out of pocket.

Being a landlord is a lot of work unless you have reliable tenants.

Incarceration is a pretty good excuse for not paying the rent. What do you say? You can't really say "that's no excuse" :-)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Angela said...

We're not even going to find out. Our deductible is probably higher than their value, and we don't want to be dropped by our insurance.

We will just rent the place next time with washer/dryer hookup. The next tenant can provide his own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home