K in Preschool next school year
I wasn't going to send K to preschool until the year before kindergarten, but I changed my mind.
Yesterday I took my transcripts to the community college in which I want to attend to become a nurse. An counselor went over them with me and we looked at which classes I need to take to get into nursing school, and when I apply. I found that I need to have a number of things done by the spring of 2011 or else I have no chance of getting into the nursing program in the fall of 2011, which is when K goes to kindergarten.
In order to get the prerequisites out of the way before I need to apply, I need to start taking a class per semester this fall. Once I'm in the program (hopefully fall 2011), I will need two and a half years to finish the program, as far as I can tell.
If I do not get myself in a position to apply in the spring of 2011 (by having my prerequisites done and taking an entrance exam), it will add one more year to my schedule before I can take any nursing classes, making it fall of 2012 before I can get in.
Anyway, I'm glad I've looked into this early enough to try to figure out what I need to do to be ready to go when I need to be.
I was also told to set my alarm clock for midnight on July 13/14 so that I will be ready to sign up for the virtual (on-line) classes. Apparently they fill up pretty much as soon as registration begins. I will have to take a math class after all since I think I want to do the in-class and not the virtual version of the nursing program. I could take a Clep test just to get the credits, but it is likely I will find the class easy, and my admission to the nursing program will hinge on my GPA. I need to take an easy class. Plus I think it will be a good class to start out with to see how I get the hang of things.
I will put K in preschool so I will have some time to take the on-line classes. I am hoping it will all work out okay.

3 Comments:
When does K start Kindy for you? We send Harry next year to what we call here kindy but its actually the equivalent of your preschool lol and then the next year he is in prep! confused :)
Hope you can get in to the course you want, it all sounds exciting and i'm sure K will love Kindy!
Is it easy to get into a pre-school? My area has waiting lists.
It's good that you've found out early what you need to do. I'm sure you'll slip back into study mode when you need to.
K starts kindergarten when she is five years old. The school year begins in September, so she'll begin September of 2011.
Sarah, it is confusing since we have different names for it.
It is not easy to get into the best preschools for your money. The one N and J went to was good but a bit more expensive (and not as good) as the one's near my house. They have waiting lists, though. If you want into the best one, you apply the September before you are ready to go.
I imagine the one K will go to isn't quite as good. They only had two openings left in her age group, and I was very glad to get one of them. I'm sure the program will be fine, although not as academic as I would prefer.
Post a Comment
<< Home