Busy
It's J's birthday. I tried to get her a turkey sandwich from the supermarket where I picked up her cake this morning, but the store was packed and they were sold out of turkey sub sandwiches. I did a Burger King run instead and brought her Burger King for lunch at school. Thankfully, she was happy with that. I was worried she'd melt down when I didn't turn up with the turkey sandwich she had requested. Maybe age eight is more reasonable than age seven.
The supermarkets are packed because we have potentially lots of snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Everyone is out stocking up on everything.
I spent sometime in our mudhole back yard this afternoon, trying to gather up any dry twigs I could find. I broke them off of dead limbs on trees to try to get the ones that are as dry as possible. It's rained so much lately that I'm not sure anything is exactly dry. Our yard is a marshy mud pit. I had to feed the animals myself (with K and J's help) in the dark last night, and I couldn't believe all the mud my feet were sinking into. (Mr. K got home very late.)
Anyway, our power loves to go out with any kind of a storm. Our heat pump runs on electricity, so I figured I'd try to get some of the tinder and kindling needed to start a fire in our wood-burning stove before it gets covered in a blanket of snow. Our woodshed has sufficient large pieces of wood to keep us warm until power can be restored, but we don't have any bags of pine cones stocked in there this year. It's just been too wet to get some together.

2 Comments:
Happy Birthday to J! You have a few birthdays at this end of the year it seems?
I hope you don't lose power for too long. I'd hate to lose power, and heat, in that kind of cold. Here is fine if we lose it, it's just never that cold....
99 degrees Faranheit in my yard today. It'll be warmer as the day goes on I think. Probably going to hit 104 I'm putting my money on!
I guess I'd prefer my weather to yours. It's hovering around freezing, which really isn't that cold. Right now it's sleeting instead of snowing.
Post a Comment
<< Home