Power back on after Hurricane Irene
My power went out during the storm on Saturday afternoon. It came on this afternoon, two days later. I got a generator at Home Depot when I went Sunday morning to pick up some bar and chain oil for Mr. K's chainsaw. They actually had generators and were bringing them up to the front, one after another. One after another, customers were grabbing them up and buying them. I couldn't call Mr. K to ask if he wanted one because our phones were dead. They'd be gone by the time I went home and asked him and came back, so I just grabbed one after making sure I could return it if Mr. K was appalled by the purchase. Since I've got the minivan, I was easily able to make room for it in the back, and a couple guys loaded it.
Mr. K was appalled since he had no idea what to do with it. From talking to the salesman, it seemed like a lawnmower engine with outlets. Mr. K knows how to run the lawnmower, and I know how to plug things into outlets. Mr. K told me not to return it. He got it gas, and while I was trying to figure out what to do with it, Fred (Mr. T's best friend) and his wife, Margaret, came by to see how we were doing after the storm. Fred can fix anything pretty much, and he was able to show us how to get the generator going and hooked up to our two freezers and our refrigerator/freezer. That was pretty much all we hooked up to it. From time to time, we added the coffee maker, the cell phone charger, a single electric burner, my mom's curling iron, and we used it to recharge our portable DVD player.
So, the contents of our fridge and freezer were saved this time, unlike after Hurricane Isabel, when our power was out for six days.
Class was cancelled for today, and it is for tomorrow, too. It was also cancelled Saturday. It's a little scary because I don't think the professors will reduce the material we'll need to cover; they'll just go over it faster, and it's already too fast right now. I need to go read some stuff for class.

4 Comments:
I think saving the contents of your refrigerator and freezer would be worth the price of the generator. Glad nothing spoiled!
Great idea to buy the generator, you'll use it again. My neighbour used to have one and it was like running a lawn mower :-)
Glad you all came through OK.
As long as we can get the generator going again when we need it, I'll be glad to have it. Hurricane Katia has formed out near Africa, and there's a chance it will hit the U.S. I don't think anyone knows which part, though.
Glad you guys were all okay from the hurricane. I would love a generator.
Post a Comment
<< Home