Life and beer
Yesterday my dentist's office called and wanted to move my appointment from next week to today. I agreed, but I wouldn't have made Mexican rice the day before (tons of onion and garlic) had I known. I got my teeth cleaned today. All was well.
I got beer today. It's been a long time since I've owned any. I had a beef recipe that baked in the oven with a bottle of beer (and other stuff) dumped over it. I also wanted to make some beer-cheese bread. Before I came up with two recipes (when I thought I only needed one beer), I borrowed a can from my neighbor. (I don't think one can by just a single can or bottle of beer in this state.) My neighbor always has a can of Busch in his hand. He lent me one. I've never had Busch. I've only had Molson, Michelob (might not be spelled right), St. Pauli Girl, Labatts (might not be spelled right), and one time Fosters (yuck!). The last time I had beer was before all the "ice" beers came out. I don't like beer anyway, and I wasn't sure if Busch was any good. I didn't want to dump it on my beef, although I thought it would be fine in bread. I decided since I need two bottles anyway, I should go buy my own. I went to the supermarket and the only brand I recognized as having consumed before was the Molson, except it was Molson Ice. Well, that's what I got.
My beef tasted quite good. It wasn't bitter like beer. Perhaps the 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar in the recipe improved the beer. I've always thought beer should be sweetened. The recipe was from Cooking Light, and it had a French name I can neither pronounce nor spell. Maybe I'll have time to try the beer-cheese bread tomorrow. Maybe I'll do it another day.
Anyway, I've returned the can of Busch to my neighbor. I did it quickly because my fridge has started freezing things. I don't know if it's broken or if one of my kids adjusted the temperature dial. My neighbor will be happy to take any extra beer off my hands, so once I run out of beer recipes, if there's any of the six bottles left, I know what to do with them. Hopefully they won't freeze in the fridge and shatter the bottles. This morning I watched my daughter eat two frozen hard-boiled eggs she got from the refrigerator. I've adjusted the thermostat and hope things will quit freezing.

2 Comments:
We brew our own beer. Today I have 120 bottles of beer in the garage and 60 more bottles waiting to be filled. I can post you some. LOL
Brilly,
Brewing beer sounds like fun (but I don't care to drink it). Do you grow your own hops? What on Earth does one do with 120 bottles of beer? How long does it take to make a batch before it's ready.
Moon-spinner,
I didn't get around to making beer-cheese bread yet, but I will as long as my beer doesn't freeze first.
Post a Comment
<< Home