Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Yes, it's summer

I see in the 7-day forecast that the hottest day will be Monday with a high of 100 °F. That will be a miserable day.

My kids were at "summer camp" again today, and I had a very pleasant lunch with my friend. It was fun to sit and talk in an air-conditioned restaurant with no one pulling on me and yelling, "Mommy!"

Tomorrow I go to my annual ob/gyn appointment. It was just a coincidence, but it fell during their "summer camp." This is much better than last year, when my son was four, and the doctor had to make him sit in a chair in the corner while she did her stuff. This year I have more friends who are home with kids, and I could probably impose upon one of them to babysit for the lenghth of a doctor's appointment had it not fallen during "summer camp."

I put two tomatoes I grew in my garden into a salad today. They are so much better than the ones I get at the store that it's hard to believe they are the same fruit. I picked a hard squash this afternoon, but it needs to cure for a couple weeks before I use it. I'm not sure how to tell if it is ripe. I hope it is. It hasn't grown in a long time.

My vases are overflowing with zinnias. They bloom much longer if they are cut or deadheaded, and cutting them for vases is much more pleasant then deadheading them after their blooms start to die. Fresh flowers, fresh fruit, and fresh vegetables are the things I love the most about summer.

My daughter fell asleep just after dinner. My guess it she'll wake up around bedtime and refuse to go back to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home