Sunday, July 17, 2005

Yet more humidity

I went out to get the newspaper around 8 a.m., and the heat and humidity nearly knocked me on my butt. Summer in the south!

I've harvested and eaten my first tomato of the season, and I have three more on the way. I've picked them before they were fully ripe. I don't think they'll taste as good by doing that, but if I leave them out until they get red, the cardinals (and other birds) will start pecking them. I hate having half-rotted, pecked tomatoes.

My husband has taken the kids down the road to the creek, and they are exploring. I don't think they've been down there since the last rain. They usually come back with interesting stories such as seeing signs of beavers or otters or perhaps finding turtles. Once I saw a beaver down there. I covered the kids with bug spray before they left since the mosquitos are getting pretty bad right now.

K and the kids extracted honey yesterday. They did it on our screen porch, but some of my floors inside are still sticky. We also saw the presentation about honey bees at the library yesterday. The kids were bored and far too young for it, but we all enjoyed seeing the observation hive.

We made it to church today. The kids were too hyper to behave well. Fortunately the service ended five minutes earlier than usual.

K picked all our soybeans. I'll probably cook some for lunch and then blanche and freeze the rest to eat as edamame later in the year. We didn't get a very good crop. K tried growing corn in with them, and they were shaded too much.

Tomorrow the kids begin their second and final week of "summer camp." I've got a lot of errands to run, and I can see I'll need to mop the floors again to remove all the honey residue.

2 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

We used to pick our tomatoes when they first showed signs of colour (to keep them safe from birds and fruit-fly) and ripen them on the windowsill. They still had a great flavour. When there's a glut of them I'd freeze them and use them in winter in stews etc.

You can send some of that warm weather over to me. I'm soooo sick of winter.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Brilly,

I froze some last summer and used some the same way. Unfortunately, I just found a bag of them at the bottom of our chest freezer that was left from last year. Oops!

I'd be happy to lend you some warm weather. Please return the warm weather when it is winter here.

Angela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home