Parasites
Earlier this week, my son had a tick stuck on his neck at his hairline. I've been checking him for the bulls-eye pattern, and so far he seems fine. Last night, as I was getting into bed, I found a tick crawling around in my bed.
Here's the nastiest story that makes me feel ill. I was holding the cat and K. I noticed something funny on the cat's butt (which she chose to aim my way). It was like a moving grain of rice. I picked it off and have put it in a zip lock bag to take to the vet. I think she has some kind of worm--perhaps a tape worm. It is Saturday. I found this worm at 12:30. The vet's Saturday hours end at noon. They won't be opened again until Monday. Then I have to hope I can get an appointment quickly, and it has to work around the kid's schedules.
I'm sure the cat has had worms for a while. I find it so disgusting, though. I've told the kids to keep their hands washed, especially before holding the baby, and to always wash them before putting them in their mouths. I don't even know if people get worms from cats, but I'd expect so. Hopefully none of us have worms. I'm not even sure how to check. None of us have thick fur around our anus like the cat does, which is where I found the worm.
Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!
Now I need to go back to doing more paperwork for my husband's business.

3 Comments:
How serious are worms in a cat?
Angela, cats can get skinny and unwell if they have worms. To check the kids for worms you can shine a torch at their anus when they are asleep and you'd see little white thread like things. The other option is just to worm the whole family every 3-6 mths.
We get wormed every 6mths (because of the dogs) using Combantrin which looks and tastes like chocolate.
Thanks for the information. I'm hoping we don't get worms from the cat.
Post a Comment
<< Home