Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A hot day

Today is very hot. I think we are in the mid-90s right now. I put some laundry out to dry, but I think it is so humid that it will come in damp no matter long I leave it out this afternoon. At least I'm not running the dryer right now, though.

Lunch was an American summer favorite--grilled cheese sandwich. I had it with reduced fat cheddar and white bread. Usually I buy whole wheat, but I didn't this week. I had read that Pepperidge Farm Hearty White Farmhouse bread makes the best breadcrumbs for casserole topping so I thought I'd try it. I had unsweetened iced tea with it. I think I'll have a salad with zucchini on it (I have so much I need to find ways to use it up) later.

Unfortunately N and J won't eat grilled cheese sandwiches. I don't understand why; I grew up on them. I haven't tried giving any to K. She was asleep when I made my sandwich. I think she'd like them, though. She's a pretty good eater.

Dinner tonight will be something called Polynesian Flank Steak. It is marinating in my refrigerator. I started that last night. I'll either cook it in my George Foreman grill or broil it. I will probably serve cooked zucchini with it (gotta use it up), and I'd like to make homemade whole wheat dinner rolls, even though that will involve running the oven. They only bake for 15 or so minutes.

N, J, K, and I all went to the elementary school to register J for kindergarten. We have to come back next week for her to take an assessment test. J's doctor forgot to sign part of the health form, so we have to get his signature on that and bring it back before school starts.

5 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been living off of grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches lately, H likes them to which is good. Love the pics of the garden and the kids, so cute :)
Hope it cools off a bit, not sure what 90 is in celcius i'll go google it hehe

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

It's hot here too. Miserably.

I was reading Joanne Fluke's books and she had a recipe for grilled cream cheese sandwiches. Made some curious, so I might have to try it at some point.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Snap to both of you. I've had grilled cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches twice this week.
I like them open faced with the tomato on the bottom and the cheese melted on top. Excellent with a cup of soup on a cold winters day :-)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Angela said...

It's cooled off to just the 80s today. I think 90s correspond to about 30s, but I'd have to check to be sure. I think 30s means miserable in Australia.

I've been having thin slices of zucchini, cut with my vegetable peeler, in my grilled cheese sandwich the last couple days. Cream cheese would probably be good, especially with chives.

Brilly, do you broil the sandwiches, or do you just fry the bottoms in a frying pan?

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I toast one side of the bread under the griller / broiler then I butter the untoasted side and add the toppings. Then I put it back under the griller.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home