Garden stuff mostly
Last night we ate our first zucchini of the season for dinner. I picked another one today, and I think one or two more will be ready in the morning. J wants me to make lemon zucchini muffins so I hope I'll have enough.
I have a few little green tomatoes forming, and I went to Southern States this evening and got some gypsum that I'll try to put on the plants tomorrow to assure they have enough calcium to avoid blossom end rot this year. Usually I wait until I get it before putting on the calcium.
My cucumbers have both male and female blossoms now, but I haven't seen any that were successfully pollinated yet.
The soybeans are the tallest and most vigorous that I've ever grow. It didn't hurt that I worked the soil quite well before they were planted and then worked in rabbit poop. They are starting to bloom. I'll have to see if plant vigor translates into a better harvest.
My green string beans and yellow wax beans are in bloom so I should be having beans for dinner in a week or so.
I have Swiss chard growing, but I think it will be a while before it is ready for harvest.
Only one eggplant of the two I purchased survived and is blooming, but it will probably need a friend to set fruit. The ones I started from seed are still way to small to start blooming.
I used some tarragon from the pot on my deck in the chicken dish I made tonight, along with a little Egyptian walking onion (I didn't have any shallot like the recipe required).
I talked to a friend of mine on the phone this evening (the one I meet for lunch sometimes), and she's willing to go to see the Nancy Drew movie with me and the kids some time when Mr. K will watch K. She has no plans to see the movie with her husband. I didn't think he'd want to see it.

7 Comments:
The Lemon Zucchini muffins sound interesting. Could you post the recipe please.
Also what is an Egyptian walking onion?
Brilly, here is the recipe:
Zucchini-Lemon Muffins
(1 dozen muffins)
2 c. all-purpose flour
½ c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
2 t. grated lemon rind
¼ t. salt
¼ t. ground nutmeg
1 c. shredded zucchini
¾ c. milk
3 T vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Spoon the flour into measuring cup and level with a knife. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together zucchini, milk, oil, and the egg. Add them to the flour mixture and combine with a spatula just until flour is moist.
Fill the prepared muffin cups with muffin batter. Bake at 400 °F for about 20 minutes. The muffin tops will spring back when touched lightly in the center.
Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
I think Egyptian walking onion is one of many names for the onion we grow. It doesn't seem to produce much of an onion. One can use the little sprouts in the spring as scallions. The onions get tall and produce seed heads become little bulblets that I plant to make more onions. They "walk" because if you don't pick and replant the bulblets, they fall over and grow on the ground wherever they land, usually a foot or so from the parent plant.
I don't mind that the onions below ground are small because most recipes I use don't call for much onion at at time. I think the below-ground part would grow bigger if I cut off the bulblet-producing top and had the plant spend its energy growing the onion itself.
Your post made me hungry.
I love to think about food. My post makes me hungry, too.
I made the Zucchini muffins today :-) I had every ingredient except the lemon so I substituted orange rind. They are lovely. They smelt so fresh and zingy when they came out of the oven. D's eaten two while they're still warm and asked me to make some for school recess next week. (I'll have to make more because all of these will be gone by Sunday afternoon)
Thanks for the recipe. I've copied and pasted it into my recipe file. They're now called Angela's Surprising Muffins. (The surprising part is that no-one will ever believe that they're made with zucchini)
Brilly,
I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. I'll have to try it with orange when they are in season. All three of my kids like the recipe. I don't think I've ever had a recipe named after me. I don't know how long ago you wrote your last comment because I've posted so much (mostly photos), I can't tell which posts have comments any more.
I need to make them again. I'm starting to get more zucchinis than I can keep up with.
Post a Comment
<< Home