Sickness
J was sick for the past couple days. She's had a fever and a sore throat, and she was dehydrated. Tuesday night it got up to 104.7 °F. I first called the insurance company's 24-hour nurse line, which is free, because the kids' doctor's office now charges $7 to $15 for after hour call-backs, and the insurance doesn't cover that. I didn't know that until I tried the doctor's number first. I just wanted to know if I needed to take her to the ER.
J even threw up while I was on the phone with the nurse. The conclusion was that I needed to call the doctor's office. I got a call back from the person on call in less than two minutes. She had me give J a high dose of ibuprofen, but we didn't need to go to the ER. I'll find out what I owe for the call when I get the statement from the doctors' office.
Today J still has a sore throat, but the fever is gone. Unfortunately, N has a sore throat, fever, and nausea today. He was at 102.4 °F when I checked him a few minutes ago. He may be the oldest, but he's the fussiest baby of them all.
Also unfortunately, I have a slight sore throat today. I'm not sure what will happen if I come down ill. No one will take care of us. Even worse, if Mr. K gets ill, we won't have much income. Fortunately this seemed to pass in a couple days for J.

5 Comments:
Ugh hope the sickness goes away soon poor kids and hope you don't catch it.
Thanks, Sarah. Taking care of sick kids gets old fast.
Can kids get flu shots? I got my first flu shot back in the winter at RSCC and I swear, I haven't been sick. I can feel it start sometimes (like a slight sore throat and feeling of a small fever), but it's gone in a night's sleep. Jon has been sick a few times and used to I caught everything he had right after him. But I think he's had colds and stuff about 3 or 4 times since I had my shot and I've been perfectly fine.
J got the flu shot last fall, and N got the flu mist (which is supposed to work better) at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't some kind of enterovirus.
We get these things almost every summer since I had kids (including the year N was a baby), and I pay my copay to see the doctor only to hear that it's an enterovirus, and there isn't anything to do but give Advil or Tylenol, keep them full of fluids, etc.
Flu shots aren't given to children here unless they suffer from severe asthma or another illness that compromises their health. Even when D's asthma was bad they didn't really recommend it. We keep oral steroids at home in case he gets anything. Healthy kids are expected to fight it off themselves.
Flu shots are usually only given to the elderly, doctors and nurses, teachers etc. Everyone else has to take their chances :-)
I haven't had a true flu since the late 80's. There was a flu that went around here which killed a lot of people, teenagers as well as the elderly. I was soooo sick but since then I've only had colds, coughs and two bouts of tonsillitis.
I've probably jinxed myself now and I'll catch the flu!
Post a Comment
<< Home