Summer Vacation
I've had to get up pretty early (6:15 to 6:30 a.m.) in order to get everyone ready to get the kids to their swimming lessons by 8:10 a.m. We're all tired and cranky, but we should get used to it by the time the lessons are over next Thursday.
We're quite lucky; this time there are only four kids in the kids' swimming class, and it has two instructors. They spend half the time in the water. Usually there's at least eight kids. I guess no one else wanted to get up early the first day of summer vacation, or perhaps money is too tight this year for some people to take lessons.
We haven't gone to the pool we joined since Sunday (when I took N and K--J was grounded). K fell into my bedroom door (she says) yesterday, and she has a very bad wound on her knee. It's a deep, splattered crack. I sort of wonder if she didn't hit a nail in the threshold. I thought about getting stitches, but it wasn't bleeding a lot, so I didn't bother. Stitches would make it heal with less scaring, but everyone (I think) has scars on his knees. I'm keeping my eye on the cut, though, to make sure it doesn't get infected. Anyway, I'm not taking K to the pool until it starts to get a hard scab. It's been weeping a bit of blood still. We change the bandage several times a day because it upsets K as soon as she sees blood on the bandage.
We've been getting a lot of nice raspberries in the last several days. I made meringue shells this afternoon, and put whipped cream and raspberries into them for dessert. The kids and I liked them. Mr. K wouldn't touch them. It is sort of a light, fluffy, girly dessert.
We've had to run a set of keys across town to the company who's going to manage our rental houses. They've got one house now, and I hope to transfer the other two by July 1. We have to meet a plumber at a different house tomorrow. N and J are complaining a lot about all the rental house running around we are already doing. I am hoping it will be over in early July.
I had a tenant who is behind in her rent by nearly a month each month (she had a mini-stroke a couple months ago, missed several weeks of work, and just can't get caught up) call me and tell me to send her the pay or quit because at the suggestion of a friend, she called the Salvation Army, and they will help her with one month's rent so she can get back on her feet. She has usually been keeping updated on when she thinks she'll get me the rent, so I hadn't sent the pay or quit. I'm glad she's getting help, and I hope she'll get back on track before the management company takes over because I'm not sure they'll be as lax at enforcing the rent due date as I am, and I do believe this tenant is telling me the truth about her problems and not just putting me off the way other tenants do.

2 Comments:
The swimming lessons sound good with only four in the class and two instructors. Good value even if you have to get up early.
I hope K's knee heals quickly. She might not scar much being so young. S cut her chin badly when she was 4 and now you can hardly see it.
Would the management company cut your tenant some slack if you tell them to. Do they ask you before they send a pay or quit notice?
I am hoping the management company will cut the lady some slack. I have told him that I think she's an honest woman having hard times. The other two tenants don't keep their word or warn me when they're having problems making rent. He seemed sympathetic.
I doubt they typically let the owner know before they send a pay or quit, but I imagine they would if I wanted to be informed. Once things are totally turned over to them and I am completely out it, I don't think I want to know. I think I get a summary each month of what is going on (and my check for whatever is left of the rent they do collect for me after their cut and any repair bills).
I think management companies are cutting more slack these days than before because if you throw someone out right now, you are likely to replace them with another tenant who is having money problems since it seems to be so common right now. Times are tough.
Post a Comment
<< Home