Chocolate Chip Blondies on a Wood-Burning Stove
Mr. K built me a fire in our wood-burning stove this evening so I could finally be warm. I recently read in one of my weird magazines about using a Coleman oven (made to be used with a Coleman stove) on top of a wood-burning stove. It warned that it doesn't heat up as high as a regular oven using it this way, so things take longer to cook.
I happen to own one. It had been my mom's. She gave it to me years ago, before I even had a Coleman stove of my own. We used it camping a few times when I was a kid.
I did succeed in making brownies, but they probably could have stood to have been cooked a bit longer. I got tired of waiting. Next time I try it, I'll use a recipe that makes thinner ones. I don't think a cake would come out so well because of the lower and variable temperature.
Anyway, it was interesting to me so I thought I'd post about it.

2 Comments:
Mmm... they look tasty. I bet it was nice and cosy by the fire with the smell of baking to go with it.
It was, and I'm making a batch of butterscotch brownies right now. They are a much thinner brownie so I think they'll cook better in that oven. The thing is, it's only at 150 °F right now. I think Mr. K just added some wood so I'm waiting for the temperature to rise.
Post a Comment
<< Home