Saturday, December 15, 2012

Recovery Slowing

Mr. K's in a lot more pain today than yesterday.  He gave up the demerol after the first day.  He thought things were getting better until about 2 a.m. this morning.  He's been supplementing the prescription NSAID with Tylenol.

Except for K, we are very sad about the shooting in Connecticut.  We decided not to tell K about it and we hope she doesn't figure it out herself.  She's already scared of almost everything, and we don't want school added to the list.  It's a shame that we can't better distinguish whose mental health is a threat to society.  Unless people make threats first or check themselves into the hospital for fear of hurting themselves or others, it is hard to tell who is actually going to be a danger to others until they perform a sick action.  We have so many people with mental illnesses around.  I saw some of them in my last clinical.  Apparently about 20 percent of regular (non-mental health) hospital beds have people in them with mental illnesses.  Some people are very functional, and others are not.

I've still got about four persimmons left on my tree.  I've been having them every day for a month or so.  We got a really good crop this year.  Here is a picture.  Mine are a Japanese type that are sweet without having to get soft first like the American type.  I saw some that were larger than mine for sale at the store for $1.50 apiece.  I could not have afforded the amount I've been eating this year.

1 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

It was a terrible tragedy. I've been glued to the news about it as well. I hope this gets more people focusing on mental health research and ways of helping people. So many of the homeless here in Knoxville are mentally handicapped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home