Cold
I was cold (and complaining about it) this evening. Mr. K has now built me a fire in the wood-burning stove. I see our overnight low is going to be about 21 °F, and the high tomorrow 36 °F. It was windy and snowing this morning, but the snow just blew around in the air. I didn't see any accumulate anywhere. I think it must have melted off as it landed.
Mr. K has gone over to our neighbor's. He called a few minutes ago and said his heat is out again, and would we lend him our electric heaters again. Heaters?, I said. We only have the one we lent him before to spare. N uses the other one to heat his bedroom. He said that was too bad because his landlord/friend is staying there tonight and sleeps upstairs.
It looks like they'll both have to sleep on the same level or one is going to be cold. I have thought about buying a second oil-filled electric heater, but haven't bothered since I've personally never needed the first. We did use it for a little bit in N's room when his heater broke but I'd turn it off once the room heated up because that heater gets very hot to the touch, and I didn't think it would be safe to have on all night in N's room. His own heater doesn't heat up on the outside, and is supposed to be fine to run while you sleep.
Maybe his landlord will make a run to Target tonight to get another heater. I know I would if it were me.

3 Comments:
I've been a bit slow at commenting so far this year.... sorry.
Happy 2008 :)
I love our wood stove, it's a bit of work chopping wood and finding kindling but it's worth it in the end.
I hope your neighbour was able to sort something out for the night.
Good luck with your Spanish class. I don't have any other language than English. My brother speaks common Indonesian and bits of Thai. My SIL puts us all to shame with her seven languages. She's a true polyglot, she has an ear for language.
Happy 2008!
Mr. K does all our wood chopping, so I don't have to. I do gather kindling.
I guess he did. Mr. K has been there since, and he didn't indicate there was a serious problem.
How did your brother learn Indonesian and Thai? Are they taught in schools in Australia?
Seven languages is amazing.
I stink at languages. I can learn the mechanics of them, but I have no knack for fluency. I have no ear for language. I want to get good at the Spanish because we have quite a large Spanish-speaking population here, and I'd like to go to nursing school after I get K into kindergarten. I think there should be a need for Spanish-speaking nurses around town. I think to actually get good, though, I'll need to use it regularly. I don't know if that will work out, but this informal Spanish class could be the start of my next career. It just feels like time to do something.
My brother speaks the common dialect of Indonesia because he's worked there for a few years and had to have language classes. Same with Thai and pigeon English (used in Papua New Guinea) He's working in Laos now.
In high school we learn German,
French, Japanese and Italian but only very basic phrases.
Post a Comment
<< Home