Monday, July 28, 2008

One Day Down

I've survived my first day working about four hours in the church nursery. A few kids didn't come today, including the youngest, an eight-month-old baby. He'll be there tomorrow, though, and I'm not looking forward to it. Fortunately, one of the teenage girls helping just loves babies and will be delighted when he comes.

It went okay I guess. I've learned a few things.

1. Ask each parent as the kids arrive if they are three or under if they wear diapers. I had a three year old I thought might be the source of the poop smell, but I asked him if he was wearing a diaper, and he repeatedly denied it. I thought it would be rude and insulting to pull his pants out and look at his underwear when nothing was leaking through his pants. When several of us concluded he was the source of the smell, I gave up politeness and decency, and lifted the back of his shirt to peek down his pants, only to discover his diaper showing above the top of his shorts. The boy lied to me repeatedly! Yes, he was poopy.

2. Bring mailing labels tomorrow to make tags to label the kids and the diaper bags.

3. Check the hallway before venturing out to go to the playground. If classes are in the hallway, waiting to get into the sanctuary, wait until they clear out. Otherwise, the little kids might see their mommies in line and cry a whole lot when they can't stay with their mommies and have to go outside with me.

4. Arrange to have more latex or vinyl gloves brought to the nursery to use for diaper changing. It was a good thing I brought some of my own today. I've already sent an e-mail to the person I think might be able to make that happen.


Today we only had seven kids. Two were one, one was two (K), three were three, and two were five. We're adding a baby tomorrow and another that's probably three. I had three teenage girls to help so it was pretty easy. I'm not sure I'll have that many tomorrow. I think it will vary day-to-day. There will always be at least two of us, but I think I'm going to be the only adult. Next week another adult will cover the week. I'm glad I only signed up for one week. I think if the kids do Loreto next year, I'll volunteer to work in the kitchen.

N and J both hated Loreto. I'm not sure why. If they feel so strongly about it throughout the entire two weeks, I might not put them through it next summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home